Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bare Handed

When I was only 13 years old I wanted to make the Emily Gray Junior High baseball team.  I was not very good.  I wanted to pitch but had a terrible motion.  Bill would come home and ask me to practice in the yard.  I did not have a catcher’s mitt but Bill just used his bare hand.  I was always impressed that he was so tough that he could catch the hard ball with his work hardened hand.  They felt like sandpaper and were thick like a glove. 

After I threw the ball over his head and then under his feet several times Bill stopped me and said, “Eddie,  Let us just play catch.  None of that fancy windups.  Just point your toe, rare back and throw me the ball.”  We did that for several days and I actually became more accurate and I began to throw pretty hard.  Bill continued to bare hand the ball even though I was throwing the ball 50-55 miles an hour.  My greatest moment was when he shook his hand in pain and finally asked me for my glove.  Why did I not think of that before.  He could have used my glove all along.  I think he did it for effect.  I was then ready to try out for the team.  I pitched for two years and made the county all-star team.  Bill loved sports.  It did not matter if it was soccer, roping, barrel racing, or football.  He enjoyed watching his family participate.   Thanks for your support.

Love
EDDIE

No comments:

Post a Comment